Thursday, December 3, 2009

Chocolat Peppermint & Sweet Wort



As requested Kumquat Cupcakery has been working on a few new holiday flavors! Introduced for the first time at the market yesterday is our Chocolate Peppermint Cupcake. It doesn't get much better than rich brownie like cake mixed with the creamy peppermint frosting. I must admit the frosting is a bit more fuchsia, and not quite as candy cane, as I would have liked....but they are very pretty all the same. I'm doing a bit of research on switching to all natural dyes, but right now all my results are coming up very very pricey. Any suggestions on where to look?

And next up....Sweet Wort! The reason for the jaunt to Red Hook yesterday was to collect this new fun ingredient.
A few months back I met one of the head brewmasters for Six Point Craft Ales at a Greenspaces party. We got to chatting about our respective businesses and he ended up telling me how wonderful this thing called sweet wort is, and how he often makes ice cream from it. Loving a good challenge (and an excuse to be around beer) I told him right then and there I was going to be making a trip to the brewery to pick some of this magical barley juice up for myself. And gosh darn it, I did. I had a ton of fun chatting with him, and getting to see the process of how they ferment the beer. I even got to taste what half fermented beer tastes like, and it's pretty delicious!
I got back too late yesterday to play around with it, but am going to be blogging about the whole process (might even make a little video) so stay tuned.

xo
Keavy

2 comments:

Matt Hendry said...

Check out Emrils Espresso Amber Ale Ice Cream Video .

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/emeril-amber-ale-icecream.html

The beauty of Sweet Wort is that you don't have to pay Excise Tax on it.

GrapeSugar said...

I wish I lived closer to NY to try these! They look fabulous and totally yummy. One of my favorite things is to make fudgy brownies with peppermint frosting, so your peppermint cupcakes make me drool! :)